Miss Kid’s Shawl

It took nearly two years, a ton of restarts, and a lot of frustration, but Miss Kid (my step daughter, 11) finally finished her shawl that she wanted so much. Because of it she’s gotten quite good at reading her stitches, picking up dropped stitches, and correcting small mistakes. She’s also learned how to knit while walking.

She’s incredibly proud of her finished shawl, as she should be. She hasn’t decided just yet what she’ll work on next, other than it be something small.

20 thoughts on “Miss Kid’s Shawl

1. Shannon says:

What a wonderful job she did – it looks beautiful!

2. Kathryn Ray says:

Now that's awesome! Way to go Miss Kid!

3. fiberdance says:

wow-wish I could knit that well.

4. Carol says:

Wow! 11 years old and she knit this shawl – she should be very proud of herself!

5. It looks great! I'm very impressed that an 11 year old made it. I don't think I could have worked on anything for that long at that age. Plus, it looks like a perfect project πŸ™‚

6. Um, this is just awesome.I didn't even learn how to knit until I was 14, and ten years later I'm probably still too chicken to try something like that! I definitely think her next project should be some quick mitts or a chunky hat. Just to prevent whiplash ;)Hooray for Miss Kid and her super fabulous shawl!!! I hope you plan on telling her that random strangers on the internet think she is amazing: no such thing as too much knitting self-esteem, after all! Also, congrats to her for learning to knit while walking. It's pretty handy.

7. Ali says:

Well done, it looks beautiful. I'd have struggled to managed a square at 11 years old, never mind a whole shawl. She should be really proud of herself.Ali x

Wowza! That shawl is gorgeous! I just knit my first lace knit shawl using a heavier yarn than that. What an accomplishment. Yes, she deserves a smaller project. Hooray for perseverance.

9. AllyB says:

I want to give her a great big hug! That's an amazing project for a young knitter.

She did an incredible job, once she managed to stay focused on it. ;)From Miss Kid: Thank you!

From Miss Kid: Thank you! πŸ™‚

I started teaching her about 2 years ago. She picked up the basics pretty quickly and has even started trying to design her own things. From Miss Kid: Thank you! It's actually a pretty simple pattern, knit, purl, yarn over, and sk2p.

It's been a long 2 years of work, but well worth it. :)From Miss Kid: Thank you! I'm very proud of my work.

I tried to help .. but also had her do the work. We did take breaks here and there for smaller projects, so that helped a bit too. From Miss Kid: Thank you! It's not perfect, but that's how I know it's handmade.

She did an incredible job, particularly when one row started taking her over an hour to do. From Miss Kid: Thank you! I feel very happy that random strangers on the internet think I'm amazing.

I think it helped that we took small breaks and worked on other things here and there. From Miss Kid: Thank you!

I think the final project was very worth the time, given her happiness at having it done. ;)From Miss Kid: Thank you!

I'm really proud of her for completing it. :)From Miss Kid: Thank you! πŸ™‚

19. Ginx Craft says:

She really should be proud. That is a fantastic shawl!

I'm proud of her too and she's thrilled it's done. πŸ™‚