Blue Fireworks

It’s always amazing to me how changing yarn or color can really change the look of something you’ve done before. Somebody wanted the Firework Mitts that I’d just finished and shown off … but they wanted them in the same color as my Blue Leaves Shawl. I looked at the computer screen funny for a moment but decided that since the yarns were ‘very’ close in thickness I could easily do it. We settled on the exact same yarn that I’d used in my shawl and I got to work.

First the yarn is super soft and squishy. I kept wanting to just sit and squeeze it because that’s what you do with yarn like that. Actually wearing the gloves is a treat because it’s so soft. Miss Kid modeled for the pictures … and then didn’t want to take them off.

Second, the yarn being one color means the detail fades back a little but I think that’s still pretty cool as it gives an awesome texture that’s a little subtle and interesting. Of course now I want to play with various other stitch patterns and see what else I could come up with to use in place of that particular stitch pattern.

I always worry when I mail something off. I’m on pins and needles until I hear back from somebody to let me know they got what I sent and it’s the right fit / color / look. The happy recipient has received them and says they fit perfectly. All is right with the world.

Pattern: Fireworks Mitts by Megan Bayonet
Yarn: Plymouth Dreambaby DK in 109 / Royal
Ravelry Page
Mods: Same as before

Also, since I’m here:
Day 17 in A Month of Craft Photos by is Last FO You Used.

Cuddly Warm

Speaking of the Blue Leaves Shawl, this was my most recently used Finished Object. Since the Nox Puppy was crashed out on the bed I decided she’d be a good model for pictures. Of course then when I tried to hang the shawl up afterward she wasn’t too willing to get off it; she was both laying on it and resting her head on part of it.

13 thoughts on “Blue Fireworks

1. Melissa says:

Oops…had to delete my first post…many spelling errors.Love these knit from solid yarn. Thanks for posting the pattern link….put it in my Rav library. These will be a "must" knit. Can't blame your puppy for not wanting to give up such a lovely shawl.

I love the puppy photo. Mine loves to snuggle up to my knitting when I set it down too.Those mitts are super sassy.

3. SweetPotato says:

I love the bottom edge of the mitts!So great that they fit the recipient…nothing worse than making something for someone and then it doesn't fit 😦

4. Liz says:

The gloves look great! I'm afraid to make gloves for other people, because my hands are pretty small – my mum couldn't get the last pair I made myself past her fingers!

It's always interesting to see how different yarns play with the same stitch pattern. They are a really great knit, quick and fun. 🙂 I found a couple of mistakes in the patter, rows left out, not sure if she's updated the pattern or not, just FYI. Puppy is very spoiled and rotten. 😀

I 'might' have to end up making a pair of those gloves for Miss Kid .. but I think I need to dye some yarn purple before doing that. Normally the Puppy has no interest in my knitting because I'm not paying attention to her. *laugh*

I tend to make sure I get gauge and then not block them when they're for somebody else. That way the recipient can be led through blocking to make them fit themselves. On the plus side, I have 3 pair of hands around here that I can test fit on.

Thank you! 😀 I'm knitting a lot of things as commissions so I try to make sure it's matching gauge and I ask people for measurements so I can compare to myself.

9. Shannon says:

What an adorable model 🙂 And the blue really stands out against her fur!

That's my spoiled Nox. 😀 Though if she hears that lots of people online think she's cute she may decide she deserves more love and attention. LOL

11. Very pretty blues… it's great how switching up a yarn color can make everything look different. Love it.

I love the bright bold colors, the ones that make you take notice. 🙂 The wonderful thing about knitting is that you can get such different results with just a little change here or there. 😀

13. […] Fireworks Gloves – Commission (Kelli) Drop Stitch Scarf – Commission (Kelli) Fireworks Gloves – Commission (Raevyn) Hooded Baby Blanket – Commission […]